Oooh! Oooh! Look! The Second Page!

     With the arrival of the parts, I was finally able to start the main construction. The window was the first thing to go in. That was truly a joy in and of itself. Once that task was complete, I applied the high voltage etching to the upper part of the window. Happily it went on straight and true with no fuss. Amazingly, the decal like etching actually does look like the real deal.

     The next part I tackled was the front panel. It has seven 5.25" bays open. Only one was going to be taken up by a drive. In addition to that, I only had two bay covers to snap in there. That would still leave four open places for dust to blow in, aside from a leaving a decidedly unfinished look. I ended up not using any of the bay covers and placed a piece of Lucite vertically from the bottom bay to the bottom of the CD-ROM drive. It actually looks quite good as a contrast to the all black case. The lack of 3.5" bays in the case forced me to try and mount the HDD in on of the 5.25" bays. Easy right? Wrong. The stupid thing was made to take rails, none of which came to me with the case. This meant that my 3.5" to 5.25" adapters were still too narrow to mount. After some fuming, I discovered that the bottom bay was actually made without rails in mind. So, I COULD have mounted the HDD there, but by this time I had a better idea. With that large window in front, it wouldn't look right to just have empty space. I settled on a vertical orientation for the HDD, with the blue LazerLED array placed at its base pointing upward. The ribbon cable and power cables are plugged in at the upper edge of the drive.

 

 

     Next I mounted the motherboard in place with its CPU and RAM. The PCI cards followed quickly thereafter. Next in were the CD and Floppy drives. Finally the whole power assembly was placed in its respective bay in the back of the case. Two fans were mounted in on the side window and one in the back.

     Now came the fun part, the majority of the lighting. First off was the electroluminescent cable. After much consideration, I ended up wrapping it around the various ribbon cables. It didn't quite turn out how I had intended, but it still looks fairly interesting. It would be better if I had physically attached the cable to the ribbon cables somehow so it wouldn't shift. I hid the inverter in a plastic cage like structure at the front bottom of the case. Happily one cannot really hear the high pitched noise it emits. The liquid neon light was placed at the bottom of the case, but still easily in view through that side window. The dancing current in the tube actually creates a watery effect inside the case.

     At this point the hardware was all installed, and all that remained was to plug power into everything and hook up the keyboard and whatnot. I decided to use a separate keyboard and mouse, but to share the monitor with the pegboard via a rotary VGA switch.

     Prepare yourselves for a shock... I actually installed Linux on the Hyperion. Mandrake 8.2 I believe. It only took me a day and a half to download and burn the three install CDs, but only an hour to get the thing installed with bells and whistles and various things I'll never use. Even more amazingly, all these months later, it is still installed. I set it up with samba to share files with the other computers on my network. I use it to store game demo installs, patches, mod and various other things I need to archive. All in all, it's a nice setup, but I don't trust my Linux skills any farther than I can throw a singularity. That lack of confidence has lead to paranoia about my security settings. In light of that, I don't actually leave it turned on unattended. Someday I hope to unravel the mystery of password protection for network shares. If someone out there has clear concise instructions on that, let me know... Soooo... Now, lets see some pictures!

 

           

 

     

 

And now, the beauty shots!

     

Back to Part 1

HOME!!!